Saturday, April 13, 2013

Kwik Sew 3639: Simon's overalls

This past Friday my serger went Kazooki and a needle was broken, the machine is crooked and does not work. I just got the bloody thing and already I broke it. I am not sure what I did, but needless to say I am PI**ED. So, that bathing suit I started is put tot he side for now. The technician at the sewing machine store is not in today, he is sick. It will have to wait until tomorrow.

So what do I start, then? I guess I will start Simon's overalls before it gets too hot for them. I have images of him wearing these A-La-Mike-Holmes. So does he, and in both our dreams he is a pretty close match. He chose a dark brown material that matches very nicely. I already bought all the notions, so all I need to do is trace the pattern and cut out the material. Then S-E-W! I figure this pattern I will require some help on the finishing touches. A good pattern to learn some new techniques. Straps, clips, snaps, side zippers, overlays....

CUTTING THE PATTERN

I took Simon's measurements and it says he is a medium. I am leery of Simon and sizing. He has gained a bit of **humm** muscle and his waist is not the same as it was last year. As you may recall, I had to give away my first pair of Kwik Sew jeans as they were HUGE in medium and I had to rip out the stitches in the small and sew it with 1/4 inch seams. What to do, what to do? i decided to copy the pattern in medium and make up a muslin. I have never made a muslin. I will research what is the best way and how to do it. I really do not want to sew another item for Simon that is unwearable.


THE MUSLIN

I cut the front and the back out of the material I had leftover from the Ghost. We bought a cheap sturdy white material at Halloween to make our ghost. We got it for super cheap, I think $1/meter.

The muslin was quick and easy to make. I decided not to make the bib and suspenders, as I only wanted to make sure the pants fit over the waist and hips. The overalls take quite a bit of material, and I have a limited amount of white material. The necessary pieces are the front and the back.



This is my first muslin I have made. I am fed up of sewing something new, spending all the time and effort to make something only to find out that it does not fit. Making a quick muslin will allow me to work on the overalls without that nagging feeling in the back of my mind that it was not going to fit.

The overalls are made to go over your clothes, so they are sized larger. The mediums are a true to their sizing. The small would be too small for Simon.


 Here are the front sections without the front bib and waistband. It is a good fit (finally!).

After the kids went to sleep, and stayed there, we went downstairs to lay out the material and cut out the pattern. There was just ONE LITTLE SNAG.... There was not enough material. I had bought the material in consequence of cutting a small, not a medium! For once I actually bought the suggested amount of fabric. I did not up it to the 1/2 meter. WHY??????






 
I had to put everything away and cut out the fabric for my dress instead.

 My sewing class was cancelled due to the snow and freezing rain. At least I was able to discover this during my own time, and not waste another class! The last class I left 1 hour early as I broke my machine, grrrrrr.

I will buy more material if I can find the same one tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment