Tuesday, April 2, 2013

New Look 6936 Misses Dresses




During my vacation I wanted to make a pretty dress that I could wear to my Friday evening sewing class. I picked up 3 meters of a beautiful sparkly stretchy material at $1.50 a meter from Tissus Mayda . It was such a beautiful material, it caught our eyes right away when we went in there. We were shopping for drapery tape, but Simon saw this material and he wanted me to make a dress with it. So eager am I to please!

I have had this pattern for a while and did not know which fabric to use with it. The model looks like a pole that is leaning a bit too far forward, but don't let that stop you!

I chose view D, with the scoop neck and longer length. I serged the seams together, but forgot about installing the elastic. I did a really really silly move and messed up the stitches I was SOOOO mad and I thought it was ruined. I used a proper stretch stitch and I did not think I would be able to take out my seams.


I put the project aside, cursing of course. I decided that this Friday’s class would be all about the finishing touches. I had 2 shirts to finish off with Bias tape and this dress as well. I went to Club Tissus to buy bias tape (and a few other things, natch). I got a really pretty shiny blue bias tape to compliment it at 0.67 a meter.
After over 2 hours I was able to take out all the silly stitches and I used wide single fold bias tape to install the elastic inside.










I put bias tape on the neck and sleeves. It added a nice touch to the dress and snazzied it up.





 



I tried on the dress and decided that the length was nice below the knees. We looked at the different hem lengths and decided that below the knees was best suited.


Now this pattern says 2 hours, but because of my error and the added bias tape it took me over the course of 2 days to complete it. I was so happy with the results and I was able to wear it for Easter dinner and to work the next day. 

I would love to make this dress again as I love how it falls and how it moves. The problem is that I have so many other patterns and fabrics. Maybe after a year when I get all my outstanding patterns done, I will come back to it.





No comments:

Post a Comment