Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Jalie 2908 Stretch Jeans




This week I started Jalie's Stretch Jeans, pattern 2908. Simon and I went to Tonitex and picked up a nice stretch denim for $6 a meter. This made me reconsider my position on Tonitex. Simon suggested that we go there from now on. I think he has a good point! 


I took my measurements, waist 29 and hips 37. I cut out a “S”. I hope they are not too small. I know in the Big 4 patterns, I am a 10. If I go by the measurement charts, I would be a size 14, but from experience that is WAY TOO BIG. This is my first women’s pattern for Jalie, so we will see. They do not appear to be too large. They may be tight, however. I was going to do a muslin, but I decided against it. I had this vision of me knowing what to do once I made this muslin, then reality came back. Perhaps taking a course on pant fitting next year would be an asset. I have no idea about crotch depth and curvature!
Simon was SUPER awesome and he picked up the kids for me. That way I could go straight home and sew. What a sweetie-pie! He took them to the park and played. I was able to accomplish a lot! I tried designing a pattern for the back pockets and realized that I did not like the results. I would need to tinker a lot more before I commit to designing a back pocket. I have a new Janome Memory craft 8200, so I am sure I can arrange something fabulous, but not today.
The back pockets were simple to construct and place on. The more you practice something, the easier it becomes. I got confused on the front pocket illustration and had to rip out my seams. 

This will be my 4th fly that I have completed. The last time it was a breeze! Let’s hope tonight it will be as well.



Now in number 13 and 14 it appears that you sew all around, no? oops, no, look at 15. This is where I finished up the other night. I undid my stitches and laid it out flat. Then I pinned on the top and it now looks like #15. Sam has his first ear infection (now we know why he was so grumpy!) so I have not had the opportunity to sew as much as I would like. After a few hours of grumpy and crying I can no longer concentrate eek! Tonight Simon is picking up the kids again (love that Hubby!) and I will have a few hours of uninterrupted sewing time. I plan on getting the front pockets completed and the fly. Wish me luck!

I figured out the pockets quite easily. I fixed my mistake and after that it went pretty smoothly. The pants are taking quite a bit of time as I have to sew in bits and pieces. I try to get at least 45 minutes in before I make dinner. That is if Simon is home and he can take care of the kids. I am now making the tabs for the belt and will attach them and then the waistband. I tried on the jeans and they fit! Yippee! I like that I chose the higher waist. We will have to see if it is too high. I am tired of having jeans that are too low and I am constantly hiking them up. I am not 18 and letting "it all hang out", so sometimes low rise is just too low.

I have made a number of pants now and the fly construction is terrorizing me way less. I think after this pair I can consider myself an expert on this section. I am glad that I am perfecting my technique!


No comments:

Post a Comment