Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Jalie 2566




Jalie 2566 was the first shirt we made during my sewing class at Club Tissus. I must say that the difference between Fabricville classes and Club Tissus are VAST and well worth the drive to the South Shore.

Simon and I worked on this patter together. We did 2 shirts. One in a animal print stretch and the 2nd one in the Blue "unknown" fibers, both we got at Fabricville awhile ago. I love the animal print, but the blue feels cheap to me. It was great practice material.

We used size "s". The lines were hard for me to follow, making my eyes go buggy. In comes Simon. He is used to plans and small details. He was a huge help in measuring and and adjusting, as his attention to detail is very good.

We used this pattern as out base. But we did not even read the instructions!
1) We sewed the shoulders together
2) We then do the neck
3) We check the neck if it fits on us
4) We sew the neck on
5) We topstitch and serge
6) We then sew on the the arms
7) We then sew the sides
8) Finish the hem

We now know how to cut out the neck material for a turtle neck, for a mock turtleneck or for a simple t-shirt neck.

For the first 2 practice shirts we did a mock turtleneck. I really like the height of it. It feels good, does not bother me like turtlenecks do, and it was really simple to install. Now, on the 2nd one - the ugly blue one which I probably won't wear often, I installed the neck perfectly.















However, on my animal print I installed the back in front. Simon did the same error with his turtleneck. I was so concentrated on lining up the pins that I did not look at what was front and what was back. A mistake I never will make again. LESSON LEARNED. This is why we practice, n'est pas?





From this pattern we will also learn V-Neck, scoop neck (more sexy look, Chanel collar, some other necks which is next week, and a dress. I am making a scoop neck in a dress right now.

 It was easy to determine how low I wanted it and how to configure that to my pattern. Easy enough.
The chanel was super easy to install, easier that I feared. We cut the 5cm by 69cm. Seewing it on was so easy, but I have to admit I made a small boo boo, so I decided to pin it. Much easier.

 The side seam we make straight. After we sewed it, I tried it on inside out. We marked with pins where we wanted to take it in.
 We used the curved ruler and it was a perfect match.
 We traced the line and made sure the measurements were the same on both sides. This is where Simon comes in with his attention to detail!
 We cut with the same seam allowance as the other areas so that when we serged it will be a perfect match

Now to sew the hem. I have not figured out the coverstitch machine yet and wanted to wear this tomorrow, so double needle it is! The bottom was long, as we used the strecth stitch.
On the sleeve cuffs, we broke 2 double needles. We learned the importance of checking to see if the foot is on solid.
Another lesson learned! Simon finished the sleeves with a single long stitch, we will redo it later. 

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful review and information. One comment, not a criticism, but did you know in ready-to-wear the turtleneck seam goes to the left shoulder? I learned that recently in a class. Good luck with you future projects!! Finishing with a coverstitch is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. We also learned that. In manufactures, where time is money, that is the quickest and cheapest method. But the proper installation is in the back, but there is no point of reference to quickly line up with.

    ReplyDelete